Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Final reading response: Starry night by anne sexton


"Even the moon bulges in its orange irons   
to push children, like a god, from its eye." This is the reason why i choose this poem to respond to, because every sentence or paragraph you read the words are just full of details. This poem is called the "starry night" this poem was based off of the painting by van Gough "starry night" This poem made me see the painting in my mind, the descriptive words and the emotions within them. Like the first few lines i wrote above directly from the poem itself,its showing a moon and how it compare to the size of an orange. In her eyes she sees it as an eye of god. I really enjoyed reading this poem, because it feels like the author is grabbing you the reader into the painting. She then uses poetic language to walk you through it inch by inch. I would feel her words walked me by every inch explaining what it might represent.

I would recommend this poem, because it is a great experience to hear and read it. I enjoyed the movies in my mind, because no other poem may be as descriptive as this one(in my opinion) I would recommend you to read the poem as you gave the beautiful painting next to you. This would help, because it would help bring the image more bigger and clearer in your mind. The painting would also help for the poem to be understood better. I think that it would also bring out the focus more, i think this because the focus is sadness and its combined with happiness. I say this because the colors match the words. What do i mean? i mean that the colors speak for words like the darker the colors the more the emotions in the words show. Also the brighter the color within the painting the happier the emotions in the words. If still confused read the poem to your self and then look at the painting and think how the colors and words match.


The Starry Night

BY ANNE SEXTON
That does not keep me from having a terrible need of—shall I say the word—religion. Then I go out at night to paint the stars.Vincent Van Gogh in a letter to his brother
The town does not exist
except where one black-haired tree slips
up like a drowned woman into the hot sky.
The town is silent. The night boils with eleven stars.   
Oh starry starry night! This is how
I want to die.

It moves. They are all alive.
Even the moon bulges in its orange irons   
to push children, like a god, from its eye.
The old unseen serpent swallows up the stars.   
Oh starry starry night! This is how   
I want to die:

into that rushing beast of the night,   
sucked up by that great dragon, to split   
from my life with no flag,
no belly,
no cry.
imgres.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment